Saturday 1 May 2010

Check Your Tyre Pressure Properly For Good Fuel Economy

A few months ago I had to get new tyres on my car.  Normally I would pick some Toyo ones from www.blackcircles.com and get them fitted at a local garage but I didn't have time to arrange this so had to make do with whatever they happened to have in stock.

Within just a few days I noticed that the fuel economy of my card had gone down by around 15% so I was not best pleased.  I checked the tyre pressure of each wheel with my digital pressure reader and I couldn't get a proper reading so I tried my foot-pump to see what that said and they all seemed to be at the right pressure.

I've recently just had a full service on the car and the fuel economy hasn't got any better so it had definitely got something to do with the tyres and all that people say is make sure the tyre pressure is correct.

As I had already checked the pressure with my foot-pump and my digital pressure reader and not got anywhere, I decided to head off to Halfords to see what they had in the way of a decent reader and that's when I saw this:


It was in the sale for around £15 and it looked really well built so I though 'sod it' and brought it which as it turns out was the best thing I could have done and should have done soon after I had my tyres put on rather than wait this long!

When I connected it to each wheel the connection felt better than my cheapo foot-pump (Halfords own brand from a couple of years ago) and instantly gave me an accurate reading of the pressure and needless to say all of them bar 1 were under pressure so I promptly pumped them up to the correct level.

I then filled up my car with Diesel and reset all the counters and one week later going to and from work the MPG was back up to where it should be so the £15 (or whatever it was), was money well spent!

No comments:

Post a Comment