Sunday 1 January 2012

Goodbye Safari, Hello FireFox!


I've been using Safari for a couple of years now and I've been reluctant to change as I didn't think that one particular feature that I liked was available in FireFox.  What feature I hear you ask, well let me tell you, it's the Top Sites feature.

Safari Top Sites Example
 
It's a fairly simple idea, but also very useful - so useful in fact that I put up with the odd website taking ages to load (and sometimes fail to load at all).

One website in particular that it struggles with, is my own website and today I finally got fed up with it and after spending less than two minutes on Google I found a FireFox add-on called Speed Dial...

After installing the latest version of FireFox I went on to the Add-Ons site and searched for Speed Dial, I then clicked on the Add To FireFox button, restarted FireFox and hey presto!  Speed Dial was now installed.  A few minutes later I had added all of my Top Sites from Safari (just by copying and pasting the URLs).

Then I realised that you can have 'tabs' (known as Groups in the Add-On) so just like you have tabs in your browser, I can now have tabs with all my top sites!

Speed Dial FireFox Add-On Example


If only I had bothered to spend a couple of minutes searching on Google a year ago...

No comments:

Post a Comment