Saturday 2 June 2012

Just Spilt A Fizzy Drink On My Apple Aluminium Keyboard

I've just spilt a pint of Diet Pepsi all over my keyboard :( I mopped it up very quickly but it was completely drenched and it narrowly missed my iPhone by a matter of millimeters!

I've rinsed the keyboard under cold water for a few minutes (if the Pepsi dries it will make all the keys very, very sticky so rinsing it away should hopefully stop my keyboard from being sticky).

I then drained as much water from the keyboard as I could and wrapped it in newspaper and placed in the airing cupboard under the stairs where it can dry out over the next few days.

Luckily I have my laptop on a stand so only the USB keyboard (and a few bits of paper) got wet.

I'll leave it in the airing cupboard for a few days where hopefully the newspaper and the gentle warmth will draw the water out and leave my keyboard nice and dry, and hopefully not sticky.

Will it work when I plug it back in - I guess we'll find out in a few days time...



EDIT: After two and a bit days wrapped in newspaper in the airing cupboard I finally thought it was long enough for all the moisture to have dried out so I have just unwrapped the keyboard and plugged it in to my MacBook and guess what?

Did you guess that it would or wouldn't work?  Well let me tell you, it's kinda both as part of it works and part of it doesn't work properly - if I press the 'i' or 'o' key it produces both characters no matter which one I press and the same goes for the K and L keys.

New keyboard it will have to be then :(



EDIT 2: HOORAY!!  I've just tried my keyboard once more before throwing out of the window and you'll never guess what? Yes! All the keys now work!  I guess I didn't leave it long enough to dry.

So, in a nutshell if you spill anything other than plain water on your Apple Aluminium Keyboard, unplug it from your Mac straight away, rinse it thoroughly in cold water to wash away any stick/smelly liquids and then leave it to dry for a week - wrapping it in newspaper will help draw out the water or putting it in a large bag of rice might also do the trick (rice soaks up water and is frequently used when people drop their mobile phones in water).

:)


No comments:

Post a Comment