Tuesday 24 December 2013

Raspberry Pi As A Media Centre Review

It might not be Christmas Day yet but I already have a parcel to unwrap thanks to CPC and the super fast delivery by Royal Mail!


My Raspberry Pi that I ordered from CPC on Sunday has arrived so I now need to get to grips with it so I can set it up to be a Media Centre to play all my media files on my TV.

The first thing I did was to download NOOBS (New Out Of Box Software) which has the RaspBMC option in it which is the software I am using as my Media Centre - it's basically an open source application called XBMC that has been configured to work on the Raspberry Pi.

After downloading the NOOBS file I followed the installation instructions and downloaded, installed and run the SD Formatter utility and formatted the SD Card I ordered using the FAT system.

I then extracted the NOOBS file I had downloaded on to the root of the SD Card and then popped it in to my Raspberry Pi and then turned it on by connecting it to the USB slot of my HP MediaSmart Server.

The Raspberry Pi is connected to my TV using a standard HDMI cable.

After a few seconds I was greeted by the following screens:


After selecting the XMBC Media Centre installation option (which is listed as RaspBMC) I clicked on the Install button at the top and the installation began...



One reboot later...


...and it's still installing...


...it was at this point I got bored of watching the installation and made myself a salad for my tea:


Shortly after tucking in the installation was complete and all I had to do now was configure RaspBMC:


That's it!  That is all you need to do to use a Raspberry Pi as a Media Centre (salad optional).  After choosing English as my language I had a good look around all the options and added my HP Server with all my Media files on it and I could then access my files.

So far, so good!





No comments:

Post a Comment