Saturday 18 February 2012

Why Do We Put Up With Poor Customer Service In The UK? - Part 2

McDonalds Kettering Poor Customer Service

Once, maybe twice a month I treat myself to a McDonalds meal as they're fairly cheap, quite tasty and I particularly enjoy their milkshakes!

Last weekend I was doing a bit of shopping at Tesco in Kettering and as it was lunch time I decided to pop in to McDonalds to grab a BigMac meal with a Milkshake!

On arriving home I unpacked my meal and as I took the fries out I immediately noticed that it was half empty.  I assumed that half the fries had fallen out in to the bag, but when I had a look I found the bag to be empty.



As you can from the above photo, it's not like there are just a few fries missing but in fact most of them!

I was too hungry to be bothered to drive all the way back up to McDonalds so I decided I would make a complaint online and took a photo with my iPhone as evidence to backup my complaint.

Late monday afternoon I received two emails, one from the McDonalds website saying my complaint had been passed on to the franchisee of the restaurant in question and the other one was from the Kettering restaurant itself.

They wanted to know what time I had purchased my meal so I sent them an email telling them when I purchased it along with the photo I took with my iPhone.  It's now Saturday and I have heard nothing else from them.

On the McDonalds website (under training) it says that employees will gain skills including quality control and customer service.  Either a lot of the staff have not been on this training or it is not up to scratch.

I've sent another email to both the main McDonalds email address and the restaurants email address, basically complaining about them not satisfactorily dealing with my complaint.

All I wanted was an apology and for them to assure me that staff will be either reminded of the training they have received or to actually be given some training so that this problem doesn't continue to happen else I will have to take my custom elsewhere.

All companies make mistakes every now again, what sets them all apart is how they deal with complaints.  Clearly customer satisfaction and excellent customer service is not at the top of McDonalds priorities right now.

[EDIT - UPDATE]

I've finally had a reply from the restaurant in question and in a nutshell they are sorry that I was disappointed with their restaurant and would like my postal address so they can send me a voucher for some free fries.

Not impressed, not impressed in the least.  They haven't apologised for the error, they're just sorry I was disappointed and think a carton of fries will make things right.

No mention of improving their customer service, no mention of them improving their quality control - I guess they don't care about these kind of things, they're clearly making so much money that they dont need to give a monkeys about keeping existing customers and attracting new ones.

I certainly wont be going to this McDonalds in the future and I have told them I don't want the voucher for some free fries.

A word of warning - If you want to make a complaint to McDonalds you will need to know the following information as if you miss any of this out they will not do anything with your complaint: the exact time of your visit, if it was inside the restaurant or via the drive thru, what your full order was and all the details on the receipt if you have one.

I'm not putting up with poor customer service any more and every time I become victim to it I will make a complaint to see how they deal with and if they deal with it properly I will continue to be a customer, if like McDonalds they don't deal with it properly then I will no longer be a customer and will go elsewhere with my money.